A NORTH CYPRUS CITY CENTRE BUNGALOW FOR SALE. LEFKOSA (NICOSIA) CAPITAL CITY LOCATION
WITH PRE 1974 TURKISH TITLE DEEDS
In the Heart of Lefkoşa city
Situated 300m from the border
Pre 1974 Turkish Title deeds
All amenities within walking distance On a 670m² plot
Total of 5 rooms
In need of updating
Scope to extend
An amazing and rare opportunity to purchase a traditional bungalow just minutes
from the center of the city. This bungalow sits on a generous plot measuring 670
square meters, an unusually large plot for a city property The bungalow comprises
of five rooms set back away from the road with garden at the front, all rooms are
perfectly habitable but in need of updating. There is plenty of room to extend the
bungalow and scope to turn this into a good sized family bungalow in a very sought
after and popular area of the city.
This most desirable property in the centre of the capital city is currently offered
at a special reduced price saving £19,550 from the original price and valuation.
This interesting traditionally designed property is ripe for modernization and could
be converted into beautiful family bungalow in the heart of the city.
Front entrance door opens into the main salon
Salon – 3.0m x 4.0m
Access to bedrooms one and two and to the hallway that leads to the kitchen.
Hallway – 1.0m x 3.0m
With doors to the salon and kitchen and an external door to the back of the bungalow.
Kitchen – 3.2 x 3.8
Has been updated and includes a range of kitchen units
Bedroom 1 – 3.5m x 3.5m
Double bedroom with a window to the front.
Bedroom 2 – 2.9m x 3.2m
Another double room with window to the front.
Bathroom – 2.3m x 2.2m
A good sized bathroom accessed via the kitchen and fitted with a wash basin, shower
and traditional style W.C.
Outside – 2 Evlec plot (670m²
At the front of the bungalow is a lovely big terrace that runs along the front of
the property and is shaded by lemon trees and grapevine. A path leads from the road
to the bungalow and a driveway runs from the road along the side of the vegetable
garden and the bungalow. The vast majority of the garden is at the front of the bungalow
with a path at the back, there are walls at the sides of the property and a fence
at the front.
The capital city of Cyprus is Nicosia, Lefkosa in Turkish. It is the only divided
capital city in the world with a long and colourful history. The inland position,
midway between the mountain ranges has made this a meeting point from all parts of
the island. Originally called Ledra and a small city kingdom circa 1050BC the town
came to prominence after the Arab raids of the 7th century AD devastated the coastal
towns and villages. Under Lusignan rule the city developed culturally and commercially,
expanding as the need arose. Many mansions, palaces, churches and other ecclesiastical
buildings were built up to the late 15th C, until the Venetian takeover of 1478.
Realisation that the spread of the Ottoman Empire would inevitably take in the strategic
island of Cyprus prompted the Venetian rulers to take such action as they considered
necessary to thwart any siege. The cities were all reduced in circumference and reinforced
with massive walls. and by 1567 the massive walls that we see today had been completed.
Total reinforcement was not finalised when the Ottoman forces arrived with a great
army in 1570 and attacked the city. The siege of Nicosia lasted six weeks at the
end of which time 20,000 inhabitants had died and the city had been laid waste. The
great catholic cathedral was sacked and all its sacred relics and statues smashed..
Once the blood lust of war had passed the cathedral was swiftly turned into a mosque
and it is still the most important mosque in North Cyprus. Under Ottoman rule Nicosia
continued to be the capital city and underwent more disasters both man-made and natural. In
1835 an outbreak of cholera killed a large proportion of the city population and
in 1857 a fire seriously damaged many of the fine remaining buildings. In 1878 the
British Government was granted a lease on the island by the Sultan of Turkey, it
was a politically expedient exercise giving the British Government a foothold in
the Eastern Mediterranean from where they could keep track on what was going through
the recently opened Suez Canal.The events of 1964 saw the barrier erected across
the city centre as a prelude to the ultimate division of the whole island into two
parts in 1974. The sight of streets barracaded with barbed wire holds a certain
facination to many visitors, the ugly corrigated iron barrier cuts right through
the heart of the city. The differences between the Northern and Southern Nicosia
is vast, the Turkish sector has retained the life and bustle within the walls, with
its maze of back streets just as it has been for centurys, while in the Southern
sector the medieval city is neglected, the heart of the city has moved to the high
rise suberbs of the modern city. In April 2008 the barrier in central Nicosia were
parcially opened and the Ledra Street/Lokmaci crossing opened to permit the free
crossing into both parts of their capital city. A significant move in the process
towards a long lasting reunification and peace, has been achieved.